Here are three things I deeply believe in:
• Sometimes, creating a life that is truly aligned to you and what you want is NOT what others expect of you. This means you have to stand firm when pursuing what you truly believe in and always take full responsibility for your decisions and actions.
• It is okay if people don’t support you in the beginning. Stay committed to your vision and goals.
• Ultimately, creating an aligned life, career, and business is a choice you have to make. There’s no right or wrong. Just make a decision and move forward!
Growing up, I was your cookie-cutter straight-A student. I graduated top of my class in high school, received a number of awards & scholarships during my time at the University of Toronto, and got into law school with a prestigious scholarship.
From the outside, everything looked great! But on the inside, I lacked the drive to become a practicing lawyer. Maybe it’s a millennial thing, but this was my quarter life crisis.
So when I decided to drop out of law school in 2018 because I knew that becoming a lawyer was not the way I wanted to impact the world, that created a lot of commotion among my Asian family, classmates, and colleagues - All of whom thought I was silly for leaving a very practical career path.
Through taking full responsibility for my decisions and staying committed to my goals, I’ve since then taken my business to 6 figures per year and am now helping others create their own dream life, career, and business… Rather than the one others expected of them.
Fast forward to today, in light of the pandemic, quitting your job has increasingly broader and deeper implications than simply finding another job or negotiating higher pay.
For many, they have reevaluated their values and priorities in life and made the empowered decision to pursue an alternative path that allows them to be there for what matters most to them. I am no exception to the growing statistic.
Thanks to my business, I’m now able to relocate from Hong Kong to Singapore and start a new life here with my loved ones.
I love playing with old film cameras! It's a hobby of mine.
Caption for the next thing would go right here.
This is another caption for this third item right here.
This area can be used for any kind of list. Get creative!
Your fifth must-have would go right about here. Yup, yup.
Overall, by starting and continuing to grow my business (even throughout the pandemic), I have now created additional streams of income and options in my life that allows me to pursue a better quality of life and be present for the people who matter most to me in my life.
So here's my take on life: Create your own dream life + career + business, not your parents’ dream. Whether that means dropping out of law school, building a 6-figure business that lets you have more options in life, moving to a new country to be with people you care about, or anything else in between...
My goal is to help you become recognized for YOU and all your ideas, lived experiences, honest stories, etc instead of trying to live up to other people’s expectations just to be approved or liked by others. Get ready to blow your own mind with what’s possible for you when you make decisions, stay committed, and take full responsibility over your life.
Sounds good? Awesome.
Let's Get to Work.
What is Cheryl Theory?
The Cheryl Theory is the idea that you CAN create a successful coaching business AND still make time for what matters the most to you (ex: Family, career, health and well-being, etc) by doing the bare minimum in your business, but doing it really really well.
The backstory: When I was in high school, I joked that I would have a theory one day. That’s how “Cheryl Theory” became my very first Instagram handle EVER (Throwback to 2012). Over the years, my Instagram name has gone through many iterations.
My original business name was Quarter Life Project (2019). In 2020, I decided to rebrand to include my name, but all variations of “Cheryl Lau” were already taken on social media… That’s when Cheryl Theory made it’s triumphant return 🙂
Everything in business is learnable, fixable, and figureoutable.
You don't have to be a workaholic
to be successful. Really.
• I’m a huge bubble tea lover (but I usually get just the milk tea, without bubbles)
• I’m also an avid K-Pop fan. My favorite groups are ITZY, (G)-IDLE, Everglow, Blackpink, Twice, Red Velvet, and aespa
• My two cats are Nugget and Meiji. They are awesome and they're the mascot of our coaching programs
• I love Google docs. If you ever send me a Word doc, I’ll upload it onto Google drive and edit the document in Google docs, then export it back into a Word doc for you
• I also recently re-pierced my ears and have been obsessed with earrings.
• Oh and I love memes and following cat accounts